Tuesday, July 22, 2008

New Carpet adds Value



As you know, I purchased a condo this month with the intention of either renting it or selling it. Well, I decided that it would do better with fresh carpet and while I was at it, I went ahead and replaced the flooring in both full baths upstairs. After shopping around, I decided on Lowes who offered me no interest and no payments for 12 months. I purchased 907 sq. ft. of carpet with new pad installed for $1600 including tax. The vinyl in the bathrooms added another $500. So for $2100 I got new floor covering in all rooms that did not already have the Mexican tile. Also today, I rented the unit for $850 per month. So after expenses I will profit $200 per month on this property. I still will market it for the purpose of trying to sell it, but in the mean time, I have a renter who is buying me a condo and giving me gas money! The first picture shows the old carpet and the second shows the new.